Sunday, September 26, 2010

3rd Week of Being an Actual Teacher

Tomorrow marks my 3rd week of being a real teacher. I love my kids, love the job, love the title. Hate the workload. I know that it is the first year and the work load will seem to be lighter but then I get tired. I am trying to learn about being adult let alone a teacher. But I will accomplish this.

I have a homeroom 804. A conglomerate of busy and beautiful and ambitious young people. I have a couple issues that these 8th graders are facing most face that I did not realize hinder teaching as much until recent. I am trying to teach them to enjoy their individuality but love each  other. They bicker more than 4th graders. They have attitudes and hissy fits but then my 8th grade team, my Team Leader and my supportive parents make sure the students learn past the drama. I was one of the few Teach for America corps members placed in a well managed school but my kids still come from similar positions. They like me and I'm not doing bad I can do better however. I have to better for them. It is a lot of pressure however. My organization skills are improving but have a long way to go. Often, I amuse myself at the thought of sleep.

 I need sleep but don't sleep because I think or facebook or blog but i avoid work. It is dangerous because I am really avoiding failure.

I read somewhere that the fear of struggling is worse than struggling itself. I know this has been my problem and I know what to do get over it. Just do. Keep pushing. Don't think just do. Make each move count. Be intentional and graceful. I will need support and will lean on my support but until I will find freedom in my peace

I love Philly but miss my friends and my sense of belonging. I feel like I am playing a role while trying to find my balance among new friendships, living situations, jobs, etc. I am learning however and teaching what ever I learn. I just don't to see my children fail because of my imbalance. I must focus. That is all. O the struggles of a new teacher...

3 comments:

  1. Wow Lenora, I enjoyed reading this. I feel your pain. Rest and put your confidence in God. Do what you can only, and He will take care of the rest.

    -Gift

    ReplyDelete