Wednesday, July 28, 2010

End of Institute....reflections

Here are my updates of the last two weeks of Teach for America Boot Camp/ Training/ HELL

Week 4
I am losing confidence in myself as an effective math teacher. My lack of organization skills has finally caught up with me. Denisse turned from my shining start to my trouble student. THis is what happens when you learn about polynomials. My best student decided that because she didn't get ONE problem on our midterm, it wasn't worth finishing so she walked out of class. Girls and their attitude I SWEAR. I do know how it feels to think you grown and be rebellious but these girls act like someone killed their kitten by telling them to check their work. Shakyra got a 96%on her test. She doesn't know that if she calmed down that could have been a 100%. Man, Attitude can get in the way of Altitude....I must make a poster of that statement.

Attendence went down after our midterm and kids started coming in late. A rumor has went around that all they must had to do is show up and then they can pass. Two of my girls got boyfriends (Novios). They are so distracted by that and it scares me.

I have to do a better job of letting them see what counts and what inside them will get them far. I called parents, wrote inspirational notes and gave compliments but I am losing focus and messing up my instruction. My lesson plans aren't as strong or clear so my students were getting confused easy and frustrated. Frustration leads to talking. Talking leads to misbehavior. This was week 4. One good day when they tried to learn and got the lesson

However all my girls (except Shakyra) are coming to tutoring sessions and are showing great improvements...they seem so nice and focused when tutoring...gosh

Week 5 (Still happening..) 

Monday we took our final. Results: Everyone improved but Nathalie and Ilayma did not pass. Everyone else surpassed their goal and are receptive to math. Denisse had the greatest improvement and wonderful work ethic when she is focused. Ricardo, Jose and Shakyra could've aced it. Attitude stops altitude. I guess the test was too long for Jose. Ricardo was going to fast and Shakyra didn't wanna check her work.

I hope they carry the hard work to next year because we decided to pass all the students (even though I think Nathalie should've stayed back again. She needs to have another run and a good one. I wish she was my student) Overall I'm realizing to start strict and stay strict until they see you will not let them do worse than their best, and then push them to do better. This is what leaders are made of. I want my students to leave as leaders.

Tomorrow is our last day as a class. I will miss them and hope they learned how to learn in my class. I hope to see them again.

Personal

I got a new apartment! I changed my hair....look!
I am growing as a person and realizing my hindering flaws. I am changing for the better. Becoming more
"grown".  I have a lot to learn. I wanna be a better teacher and a more confident woman. It will come but till then...I gotta find a bed and get back on my workout plan


No comments:

Post a Comment