Saturday, July 17, 2010

Induction...Week 3 (with are review of week 1 and 2)

Hello. I am so very sorry this post is so late in the game.

I am extremely busy with Teach for America Boot Camp also known as Institute. I love Philly. It has great culture but also has hella stuff to fix. This is my third week in Institute, 4th week in Philly, end of my 2nd week as a teacher. I must say. I have learned alot. First, a quick review of institute (from what I remember)

Week 1

There are no black men in Teach for America which makes it really easy to focus on working out and reading and sessions. I met my Corps member advisor...and originally thought she was crazy for TfA. I realized that all that non-required pre-institute work was actually required (dammit). I am so sure that I have the best Corps Cultural leader ever because he gave me all his ones from last year. THe school I will be teaching at is called Edison High. It is 95% latino and summer school is mixed with two other schools. It is your typical high school but has atypical students who prove that age ain't nothing but a number. I was partnered with a Pakistani guy who will be teaching the same students as I . He is sweet. We were told we would  be teaching Algebra I...I figured it will be easy

Week 2


Teaching Algebra 2 is NOT easy. Not for me anyway. I guess all these years of overcomplicating math made it hard to communitcate it to my students. But I met my first group of students! The first I met was Denisse. She is sassy and sweet Puerto Rican girl who looks older than her age and has an innate wisdom that bleeds through. There is Ricardo, the cool kid in class who is also the oldest and reacts negatively to someone who test his manhood. He is also a sweet kid i just knew I had to break him in somehow. Jose is the quite but funny guy in class. Sneaky guy. Shakyra the DIVA. She is the only black girl in my class and knows she is hot. I think she acts like she is Beyonce in her head. She is also the best student in my class. Always down to help but man she got ATTITUDE! You can't tell her nothin! Aisha sits in the front row. When she is confused, she raises one eyebrow. She always has her eyebrow raised. She is too shy to ask questions Ilyama is the sweetest but speaks no English what so ever. I have to find a way to get through to her. Eli and Yilisi stopped coming to class after week 2. I dunno what happened to them. They are types who tries to be cool and easily swayed by peers but are smart. And Nilsa And Nathalie barely come to class which push them further behind than they should be. I hope we get it together because  some of these kids don't know how to multiply let alone find factors of a number. I have lots of work to do

week 3

And we don't stop...I realized I am very much a black woman when it comes to teaching. My partner fears my attitude and my students respect me though they are still not learning fast enough. They definately improved however. Their midterm grades showed a 30% increase but we are looking for 50%. What can I do? Our attendance is low, we have no strict consequences when students break our rules. Those who do come always come late and my lessons are not getting better. However I am building strong relationships with my students and they respond well to me. They say me and my partner are great teachers. The students say we are great teachers! (Well Shakyra said we have some work to do but we are good for just now starting). Highlight of the week was when I taught them how to add polynomials. I had all 100% on my end of class quiz and no raised eyebrows for Aisha. Denisse and Ricardo are becoming my fav. students. They show wonderful leadership in the classroom and are always willing to help communicate my lessons to Ilyama. Even Ilyama felt comfortable enough to ask me for help after class but we still are improving at the rate we should be. I realize i should've invested in my class better by making rewards and consequences clear and calling parents earlier. We called for the first time this week and those we go through to showed real concern. Jose is starting to worry me. He was one of my best students but he is using his cellphone in class and acts a bit ansy...I wonder what is up. Ricardo and Aisha flirt....too much. And I am starting to not like my CMA (my advisor) she is a bit too strict and all the other advisors even think so.

Personal

I cut my hair. I miss my friends.  I got new clothes. I am trying to fit in. I love my  roommate. She is very fun. I saw a flash mob. And realized there is much to be done. I met no men. But its all good. I have no house yet, Hopefully I get it soon. I am about to get braids again, I want my afro to grow. But my daddy says I have to let it show.I realize it is best to remain humble. I am learning how to do that better and better each day but I am meeting great people and recieving mad love. I am about to sleep now. Here is my art

My hair week one, two and three--A different way each week...it will just get shorter and shorter





Poems written these last two weeks

It is my addiction tow the quick fix that keeps me up at night
Maybe if I teach them why I fight
They could inspired to take flight

I will be more on from now on but right now I will sleep. A task I rarely get to enjoy...GOOD NIGHT

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! I love kids!! and you are a great teacher just by knowing the actions of your students, that's crazy! most people don't recognize the raised eyebrows or other natural cues that let you know that people are not the same and get things or react to things differently

    your hair is Cute!!! I think your dad is right you should let your hair show...but I do know its a hard thing to do you just got to be comfortable and until that happens you wont be satisfied with your hair...but remember your appearance is how your students are gonna remember you, because they see you all the time!!! and you never know that you fro may be the one thing that they appreciate.

    keep doing your thing I Love ya girl!!

    ReplyDelete